A Recipe For Stress Relief – 5 Foods That Can Help You Reduce Stress
Keeping your body healthy is the best way to fight stress and resist its harmful effects. A properly balanced diet high in fiber and protein, low in fat, and easy to digest helps your body work more efficiently. When your body undergoes a stress response, hormones are secreted at abnormal levels, causing significant changes in how your body functions. These changes include decreased immunity and increased heart rate and breathing among others.
The adrenal glands (located just above each kidney) release those hormones needed for the body to respond to stressful events. They rely on a nutritionally balanced body to work properly and control the changes brought on by stress and anxiety. So let’s look at some foods that you can easily add to your diet to maintain that healthy balance your adrenals need.
1. Garlic has been used for centuries as a medicinal cure for colds, the flu, allergies, and weakened immunity. It is known to have detoxifying properties and to lower hypertension associated with stress.
2. Quinoa is one of the few foods in the world that contain all of the essential amino acids needed in the body. Quinoa is high in protein and is the easiest protein to digest. It contains more than 10 vitamins and minerals including magnesium which can help reduce stress headaches.
3. Believe it or not, cucumbers are a great stress reducing food. They play an important role in cooling our bodies down, which helps control the secretion of hormones in the liver and into the blood. The liver in particular has an important impact on how the body handles stress. A healthy liver helps the adrenal glands regulate their stress managing activity.
4. Cabbage contains high levels of vitamin C, vitamin E, and Vitamin A. It also contains high concentrations of beta-carotene and selenium. All of these vitamins and minerals act as powerful antioxidants in the body, which is very useful in managing stress.
5. Avocados are rich in 14 minerals and essential fatty acids that are highly beneficial to your health. Avocados help regulate hormonal activity, enhance immune function, and encourage cell reproduction. They also help your body absorb the vitamins and minerals you are getting from the other foods you eat.
So cook up a very simple, natural stress relief vegetable soup using these ingredients. Heat some vegetable oil in a large pan, stir in some quinoa, carrot, pepper, onion, celery and fresh garlic. Cook until lightly browned. Add some chicken broth, water, tomatoes and cabbage and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and cook until the quinoa and vegetables are cooked to your taste. To spice it up you can add some stress reducing herbs and spices like cumin, basil and sage.