Herbal Sleeping Remedies
If you have difficulty falling asleep, then herbal sleep aids may be the answer to your problems. After all, these natural sleeping remedies can help you fall asleep quickly and won’t cause dependence like most sleeping pills do. There are sleep remedies that will help you to get to sleep and there are remedies that can save you from waking up in the wee hours of the morning.
Listed below are some common herbal sleep aids that are considered as the best natural sleeping remedies. You can find these sleep aids both online and in prescription form.
1. Kava kava (Piper methysticum). This is an herbal cure for insomnia, popular among people living in North America. Kava kava helps initiate sleep by inducing a calm and relaxing feeling. This herb is often prescribed for patients with insomnia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Although kava kava is considered an effective herbal sleep aid, long-term use may result in liver problems.
2. Chamomile (Matricaria recutica). This herbal remedy has been used for centuries and is probably the most used and safest sleeping aid in the world, for both adults and children. Chamomile is often brewed as tea. Aside from helping you sleep, this herbal sleeping aid also promotes digestion and has such a mild effect that it doesn’t cause any dependency.
3. Hops (Humulus lupulus). This herbal sleep aid is a traditional ingredient for beer. Hops has a calming effect that relieves nervousness and pain and promotes a higher mood level. The effects are comparable to other herbal sleeping aids and it can be used in tincture form or as an herbal tea.
4. California poppy (Eschscholzia californica). This herb is a popular supplement for promoting regular sleep. However, California poppy not only promotes sleep but it is used as effective anti-anxiety medication as well. It also helps people who are depressed and listless. This herb is prescribed to both adults and children to treat insomnia.
5. Passion flower (Passiflora incarnata). This herbal remedy has always been used for its sedative and calming effect. Passion flower is a common ingredient in most sleeping aids to help induce sleep without causing dependence.
The effectiveness of Passion flower comes from its harmine content, an ingredient of this natural sleeping remedy that can inhibit serotonin breakdown and ultimately induces relaxation and sleep. Passion flower is available in capsule from, in tinctures and tea.
6. Valerian (Valeriana officinalis). This is a widely accepted herbal remedy that induces relaxation and sleep. This herb is very effective in the treatment of insomnia and it doesn’t cause dependence. Valerian should not be used for more than 3 months, as it may cause side effects such as indigestion, palpitation and headaches.
Using herbal sleep aids with other medication
If you would like to work on your sleeplessness or insomnia, it is best to ask your doctor before you do. Never use over the counter medications unless prescribed by your doctor. If you are currently taking any medications, it is best to ask for any adverse reaction of herbs before using them as supplements. Do your own research online to know adequate dosage and any adverse effects when combined with other drugs.
Herbal Sleeping Remedies